Why I Run Disney

A lot of people were really annoyed recently when the price of runDisney races continued to skyrocket this year and our runDisney friends started charging for things that the rD faithful had come to enjoy for free {namely the meet ups pre-race}.  I have to admit, I was a little annoyed when I found out you could literally buy your ticket into the next meet up.  And it wasn’t necessarily because of the money — although I thought it was at first — it was because some of the magic had been taken away:  no more anticipation, no more daily Twitter stalking, no more excited hashtag checking, no more DP blog refreshing.  I was bummed.  So I started talking to my Twitter friends about it.  And then it dawned on me.  That’s why, my number one reason, I will always runDisney.

It’s the people.

runDisney

runDisney has done amazing things for some of my most important relationships.  Because of runDisney, I got to cross the finish line of one of my very best friend’s very first half marathon.  I also met one of my newest best friends {Princess N} through one of my oldest best friends {Princess H}.  runDisney helped me reconnect with one of my dearest friends from college, 8 years, two marriages and three kids later.  runDisney and Twitter introduced me to some of the MOST AMAZING PEOPLE I’ve met in a really long time:  one of my BRFs, one of my greatest running inspirations, my running coach, and now — MY MARATHON RELAY TEAM {in Akron, natch} — they have become important parts of my running life {and let’s be honest, my regular life}.

Are the races, expensive, yes?  I just probably won’t ever try to run all of them in one year again.  I also want to support an organization and a race series that fosters relationships and challenges and encourages people.  Are there 1 billion people on the course running the same race as me?  Yes.  And so I set my expectation accordingly — until I bust out my 7:15 minute/mile and I’m in Corral A on the reg I won’t try to PR or BQ at Disney events.  Most importantly, runDisney always, always makes me feel like a rock star — they celebrate my accomplishments and the accomplishments of everyone that crosses the finish line.  And they bring us together.  From across the country we descend on that one magical place where we can run and hug and cheer and eat ice cream and be proud of each other.  And ourselves.

Because of runDisney we’re always there for each other.  Through the miles, and Twitter chats and the ice cream.  And there’s no price I won’t pay for that.

12 thoughts on “Why I Run Disney

1. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

I love this, Lauren! We all run various races for different reasons (I wrote about this today as well), but I love how runDisney races have fostered so many relationships for you. I can only imagine how many memories these races have fostered for you!

2. Steffany R. says:

Well said! I will always have our moment during the WDW Marathon this year in my mind. It’s all about the people! Most people aren’t worried about time but more about the experience. That is what running is all about to me! We will do another RunDisney event together again, and it will be magical =)

• lnrbailey says:

I literally cannot wait to see you again! Akron here we come. Then we clearly all need to dress as the Avengers and head to CA ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

3. Mike van Mil says:

Great post! Makes me more excited for my wife and I to run our very first race and run Disney event! Just seeing the camaraderie on twitter and on the blogs I find and read it really solidifies our decision! I really hope and cant wait to meet all the people I’ve met on Twitter IRL! We are a big disney family to begin with so this will be an amazing new chapter to our already magical yearly disney trips! Thanks for shedding on what rundisney means to you I have a feeling my wife and I will have the same feeling this Nov at #WineDineHalf 😀 #KeepSmilin 🙂

• lnrbailey says:

This is an awesome comment. Thanks for sharing Mike! I know you and your wife will have a BLAST. Make sure to try to meet up with Team Run Disney and all your peeps. It will make it even more magical!

4. Jeff S. says:

Well put Lauren. I couldn’t agree with you more. runDisney events are truly about meeting people, talking to and making new friends. I feel blessed to have met so many great people over the years at hundreds of running events and know that I’ve made some friendships for life! Thank you for being such a GREAT FRIEND!